Saturday, April 30, 2011

Finally, BACK!!!

So pretty much that last 4 months or so have been hectic and painful and well just damn hard.
So here is a nutshell version of what has been going on here in Durham at the Kruger household.
My ankle decided it would start hurting and swelling just because it wanted to I guess. Started in November and I finally said something to my doctor in January and went to an Ortho doc, but me in a boot for 3 weeks, no change, then an MRI which showed torn ligaments and tendons. I did not hurt it, like sprained my ankle, etc...just falling apart I guess. This coming Wednesday I see the doctor to decide treatment....which is a nice way to say surgery.
Next - my youngest female whippet Grace was diagnosed with hepatitis May 2010. I brought her into the vet after she had thrown up a couple of times in a day and was acting different. After many tests and many dollars they ruled everything else out and we ended with hepatitis. Since last May she has been on medication to take the ammonia out of her blood system that her liver could no longer flush out. Since the beginning of the year she had been declining slowly. The medication that was to take the ammonia out was no longer working well, we increased and increased the dosage and it wasn't working. The ammonia effects the brain and she was becoming more and more confused. It was terrible to watch her walk into the wall and not know how to turn away from the wall, or just circle and circle. I was beside myself I could not to anything to help her. Nights were the worse, she would wander on the bed and around the room, I would hold her for hours and try to lessen the confusion.
March 8, after a couple of terrible days, Grace and I visited my vet and we made the decision to help Gracie leave this world. My vet, Suzy, came to the house at 5 that afternoon to ease Gracie pain. My good friends, Krista and George were here with me. I held Gracie in my arms as she administered the meds,George's hand on my shoulder, Krista's hand on my knee........ I held her until I knew she was gone. Needless to say all were in tears, vet included. It was by far one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make and follow through with. It was best for Grace and had I decided to keep her alive it would have been for me.
Grace now is in a beautiful cherry box on my mantle, waiting for me at the Bridge.
More later,
love your people and your dogs,

No comments:

Post a Comment